World of Darkness - Alpha Network
“Give us a clever, witty motto on Attributes……”
There are nine Attributes in total, organised into three “Categories” of Physical, Mental and Social Attributes as well as split into three “Classes” of Power, Finesse and Resistance Attributes.
- Requires greater expenditure of raw energy…
- Strength: This Trait measures your mean physical strength — your ability to lift, carry, and cause physical harm. A person with a high Strength rating is usually larger than someone with a lower rating. Of course, there are always exceptions. Strength is used when you attempt to lift, carry, push, heave, or break something. In melee combat, your Strength Trait is added to your damage dice pool. Strength is also used when you attempt to make any sort of jump or leap.
1 Poor: You can bench press 40 lbs.
2 Average: You can bench press 100 lbs.
3 Good: You can bench press 250 lbs.
4 Exceptional: You can bench press 400 lbs.
5 Outstanding: You can bench press 650 lbs.
- Intellect: Strength of Mind. Logic, Memory and basic General Knowledge and Education. The raw power of the Mind – Cognitive capacity. The inherent capability to digest, comprehend and remember information— and to learn more. Intelligence is a direct measure of how smart your character is. She may be dull-minded or have narrow-vision. She may be book-smart, or she may simply be able to grasp concepts, interpret situations and solve problems quickly. Intelligence is valued by planners, theorists, scholars, white-collar employees and leaders.
Roughly, you can approximate an IQ for each DoT
0 Under 90
- Presence: Charisma, Appearance and Charm. Bearing. Tature. Assertiveness. Prescence suggest the power of your character’s very identity. Attractiveness is only part of the trait. Your character may be jaw-dropping gorgeous, plain-Jane or downright ugly, but her Prescence means much more. It reflects her sheer command over the attention of others. It’s her capacity to impose her will on others by being socially aggressive or powerful— a veritable bull in a china shop or someone who simply doesn’t accept no for an answer. This trait is essential to leaders, enforcers, interrogators, models, politicians and salespeople. Note that attractiveness alone is not represented by the Striking Looks Merit, which grants bonus dice to Presence rolls.
- Requires precise application of Minimal energy…
- Dexterity: Agility, Flexibility and Natural Dexterity. This Trait measures your general physical prowess — speed, quickness, and agility. It indicates the capacity for moving precisely and manipulating objects with accuracy and grace. Dexterity includes hand-eye coordination, fine motor manipulation, reaction speed, reflexes, and bodily grace.
- Wits: Quickness of Mind. Perception, Focus and ability to thinks on one’s feet, under pressure or durss, without letting them see you sweat. Wits also encompasses an eye for detail, the ability to absorb what’s going on in the enviornment, and to react to events. It might mean recognizing that the temperature in a room slowly drops, that a landscape painting incorporates a disguised human face, or that a trap is about to be sprung. Wits involves the powers of perception and response. Your character may be oblivous, dumbfounded, quick-eyed or wary. The trait is useful for entrepreneurs, charlatans, athletes, tacticians, lawyers andcriminals.
- Manipulation: Charm. Persuassiveness. Charisma. the capacity to play upon the desires, hopes and needs of othes to influence them. Manipulation refelects your character’s finese in social situations. How well he can appeal to, gain the favor or generally coerce others. Manipulation is applied to win smiles, to put people at ease or to gain favors. Where Prescence deals in social force. Manipulations focuses on social subtlety. It’s the tool and trade of business people, politicians, salesfolks and publicists. Your charactr may be a wallflower, he could frequently make off-color statements, he might have a winning smile and hardy handshake, or he may be able to sell sand in the desert.
- Often used to contest another action…
- Stamina: Stamina measures general health and resistance to pain; it indicates how long you can continue to exert yourself and how much physical punishment you can sustain. Stamina is your staying power, both physically and mentally, and one of its most important elements is the will to live. Sturdiness. Steadfastness. Sheer physical resilience. Stamina is a measure of how tough your character is. It indicates how far she can push her body, and how much physical abuse she can endure.Your character might be sickly and frail, or hardy and unstopable. Bouncers, brawlers, triathletes, survivalists, heavy lifters and workaholics thrive on Stamina. Stamina, along with Size, is a factor in determining your character’s Health points.
- Resolve: Focus and determination to see your character’s Will done. The capacity to stay on target, ignore distractions and to resist coercion or browbeating. Resolve is your character’s mental fortitude. His personal conviction. His clarity of vision or spirit. Your character may be easily distracted, unable to concentrate, resolute or single-minded. The trait is pivotal to resisting supernatural forms of mental control: it acts as a veritable defense of the mind. Resolve is valuable to leaders, motivators, soilders, athletes, police and organizers.
Note: Resolve is not to be confused with willpower. Resolve is your Character’s ongoing focus. think of it as his long-term purpose, like a career plan. Willpower reflects your character’s short-term highs and lows, his ability to dedicate himself in brief efforts to overcome challenges. Resolve does contribute to your character’ Willpower points, though.
- Composure: Poise. Dignity. The capacity to remain calm and appear to be unfazed in social and threatening situations, usually harrowing ones. Your Character might lose his temper at the slightest perceived insult, collapse emotionally under a mere pretense, weather a storm of verbal (or literal) slings and arrows, or have the nerve to look unspeakable horror in the eye. This trait is ideal among leaders, soldiers, moderators and anyone whose movements are public consumption. Composure is vital to resisting social influence and pressure (overt, covert or otherworldly). Composure is pivotal to resisting supernatural forms of emotional controls; it acts as a veritable emotional defense. The trait is also vital to efforts among supernatural beings such as vampires and werewolves to restrain themselves when their blood is raised and frenzy threatens.
Note: Composure, along with Resolve, is a factor in determining your character’s Willpower. Composure is also added to Dexterity to determine your character’s Initiative at the begining of a fight.